A Tradition In Quality Since 1921
In 1921, Albert Hugo stepped off the train in Jacksonville for a layover as he headed toward south Florida. As the train went further south, the scenery began to look as if he were heading into the Amazon... and beyond civilization. Albert headed back to Jacksonville where he spent the rest of his life. Trained in his native Germany as a "tapezierer" - Albert was a decorator skilled at paper hanging, cabinet making, upholstery and other crafts. In Jacksonville he set up shop in the Riverside dock-house of Mrs. Jessie Ball duPont - he used the building in return for tending her yacht. Albert married his wife Euna, who had been a hat maker before her marriage. As Albert designed interiors, built and upholstered furniture, Euna would sew beautiful and elaborate window treatments. Together they served many of Jacksonville's prominent families.
In 1947, Albert and Euna Hugo moved their business to Philips Highway, where it is still located. Their sons, Edward and Charles, took over the business as Albert retired. Today the President of Albert Hugo Associates, Inc. is Albert's grandson, Richard who is assisted with son Mathew and daughter Jennie representing the 4th generation of Hugos. The 43,000 sf. showroom provides the largest and finest collection of home furnishings in north Florida. The staff of interior decorators and craftsmen still provide for all the needs of their clients under one roof.
Today, it is quite possible, even probable, that the grandchildren and great grandchildren of Albert Hugo are serving the future generations of Hugo's first customers.